Public Planning Director - West Palm Beach
- PLACE - Planning
- West Palm Beach, FL, USA
- Full Time
WGI is seeking a Public Planning Director with 15 years or more of progressive planning experience in the fields of planning and urban design with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a supervisory capacity to lead the firm's Public Planning department. Preferably, the candidate would operate out of our corporate headquarters in West Palm Beach, FL.
The role and function of the Public Planning Director will be that of both building on and adding to our teams current competencies, as well as expanding the Department's footprint nation-wide. A strong and successful background in urban design and public planning policy is required, as well as experience with the preparation and submittal of RFP/RFQ responses, and all applicable reports, studies, and plans; including, but not limited to: Comprehensive, General, or Land Use Plans/ Plan Updates, Complete Street Design & Policy Recommendations, Mobility studies, Community and Neighborhood Plans, and Master Plans.
- Supervision and mentorship of urban design and planning staff, either directly or indirectly through senior management;
- Pursuing work throughout the nation with local municipalities, jurisdictions, non-profit organizations, and other governmental agencies and preparing pursuit materials and coordinating with required discipline leads;
- Lead the department and perform quality control of work by others;
- Attend meetings, some of which will be evening and weekend meetings, including board and/or committee meetings, public hearings, neighborhood meetings and other meetings as assigned;
- Oversee staff in the preparation of comprehensive plans, zoning codes, planning studies, mobility studies, RFP/RFQ responses and other planning initiatives, including public involvement;
- Oversee staff in the design and preparation of master plans, urban design deliverables, and complete street designs;
- Presentation of planning deliverables, design concepts, and reports to government staff, elected and appointed boards and authorities and citizens;
- Coordination of planning and related activities with government staff at the local, regional, state and national levels; and
- Review and manage billing, invoices and budget for the department.
- Bachelor's Degree in planning, landscape architecture or related field from an accredited four-year college, Master's Degree is preferred;
- Demonstrated 15+ years in progressive planning experience;
- Professional licensure or certification in respective field required (i.e. AICP, PLA or RA), additional licensure or certification in LEED and/ or CNU is a strong plus;
- Planning experience required:
- Project Management with municipalities, counties or other government agencies;
- Prior supervisory experience leading a planning team;
- Demonstrated experience preparing comprehensive plans, form based codes, zoning codes, master plans, and related planning and urban design deliverables;
- Ability to lead project pursuits including letter of interest preparation, presentation development and presentation skills (interviews, question & answer sessions, leading presentations);
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the writing, editing and oversight of planning documents such as comprehensive plans, zoning code, mobility studies and master plans and the presentation of information to government agencies, neighborhood groups or other stakeholder groups;
- Prepare contracts, scopes of services, fee estimates;
- Experience with visualization and public outreach techniques;
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite;
- Knowledge of GIS and AutoCAD and training is a plus.
If you have the vision and drive to lead this growing department please send us your resume (including salary history) and a cover letter outlining how your background and experience relates to the position. WGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer providing a competitive salary, excellent benefits and an outstanding work environment.
WGI is an award-winning, multidisciplinary and highly collaborative national consulting firm providing expertise in planning, civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, transportation, geospatial services, and parking solutions. The firm has offices throughout the U.S. and provides a comprehensive range of services to a diverse client base in over 30 states. WGI is a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary professional environment that prides itself on our highly collaborative atmosphere. The Public Planning department is committed to delivering creative solutions for our clients by creating equitable and sustainable communities by using key planning and design tools such as green infrastructure, resiliency planning, form based codes and complete street policy and designs.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media
Share This Page