Instrument Operator - Jacksonville, FL
- - Geospatial
- Jacksonville, FL, USA
- Full Time
WGI is an award-winning national consulting firm providing land planning, civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, transportation, geospatial services, and parking solutions, with our corporate headquarters in West Palm Beach, FL. The firm has offices throughout the U.S. and provides a comprehensive range of infrastructure services to a diverse client base in over 30 states. We are seeking an Instrument Operator to be part of our Survey Team in the Jacksonville, FL office.
- Operate and measure distance with a total station;
- Create perpendicular angles with optical equipment;
- Obtain bearings and angles using a compass;
- Read horizontal and vertical angles with total station;
- Obtain readings from standard, direct reading, cut and fill rods;
- Obtain sights from plumb rods, section rods, disposable targets, etc.;
- Assist Party Chief in accomplishing field assignments in efficient manner;
- Operate Data Collectors as directed by Party Chief to assemble Company standardized information;
- Become familiar with descriptions, coding and techniques for Data Collection.
Essential Job Functions: The essential functions include but are not limited to the following duties and responsibilities, which are listed in no particular order of importance:
- Accurately and efficiently clears line, establish points, tape, chain and level for field survey projects as assigned by Field Crew Chief;
- Hold prism pole or stadia rod at designated points to assist in determining elevations and laying out stakes for mapmaking, construction, land, and other surveys;
- Keep crew's assigned vehicle clean and well maintained;
- Report any mechanical or safety related problems to the Party Chief;
- Keep vehicle stocked with the necessary equipment and supplies as instructed by the Field Crew Chief;
- Load for transportation, clean and store field surveying equipment used by the crew;
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with other crewmembers to facilitate the timely and accurate completion of assigned projects;
- Observe all safety guidelines and procedures, particularly when working around traffic or on construction sites;
- Respect the property rights of the owners of property on which the field survey work is being done;
- React to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent;
- Knowledge of basic math (addition/subtraction, multiplication and division);
- Good verbal and written communication skills and the motivation to follow instructions completely and accurately while working in rough terrain and inclement weather;
- Possess valid Florida Driver's License.
- Subsurface Utility experience is a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work requires using a machete, shovel and sledgehammer or other appropriate tools. Lifting and carrying equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. over rough terrain may be required. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of field equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms, speak, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and smell. The employee must be able to get in and out of vehicle multiple times a day, and drive 30 to 60 miles daily. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. The employee works outside in all types of weather conditions, possibly for extended periods of time. The terrain may be rough, steep, wet or swampy. Vegetation may be dense, and insects, snakes or animals may be encountered.
If you have what it takes to join our growing organization and want to be part of a dedicated team please forward resume which must include salary history and a cover letter outlining how your background and experience relate to the position. In return, WGI provides a competitive salary, excellent benefits and an outstanding work environment. WGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Follow Us On Social Media