Survey Field Crew Chief - Jacksonville, FL
- - Geospatial
- Jacksonville, FL, USA
- Full Time
WGI is an award-winning national consulting firm providing land planning, civil engineering, landscape architecture, transportation, geospatial services, and parking solutions, with our corporate headquarters in West Palm Beach, FL. The firm has offices throughout the U.S. and provides a comprehensive range of infrastructure services to a diverse client base in over 30 states. We are seeking an Instrument Operator to be part of our Survey Team in the Jacksonville, FL office.
This position supervises and directs the operations of the survey field party in the execution of a wide range of surveying and mapping assignments.
- Daily supervision and coordination of a field survey crew engaged in making plane and/or geodetic surveys for construction, topographic, right-of-way, and control survey projects
- Participates in pre-survey planning meetings with project managers
- Assigns and monitors work
- Trains survey crew in survey and mapping methods, use of equipment and field safety procedures.
- Gathers field survey data through use of conventional and Global Positioning System (GPS) methods
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates surveying equipment, including electronic total station, data collector, and GPS equipment, in order to measure distances, elevations, and angles
- Prepares field notes and drawings; and performs field surveying for roadway, bridges, and flood control projects, including installing surveying construction stakes, tying out existing intersection ties, and locating or establishing vertical and horizontal control, right of way, monuments, corners, boundaries, and property lines.
- Read and interpret engineering plans.
- Respect the property rights of the owners of property on which the field survey work is being done.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain clear and accurate field notes is required.
- Strong technical understanding of survey field equipment and data collection processes is required. Computer skills, including Microsoft Office, a must.
- Past experience on FDOT assignments, water management, or heavy construction highly preferred.
- Subsurface utility experience is a plus
- High school diploma and 3 years of Party Chief experience required.
- Valid Florida driver's license required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work requires using a machete, shovel and sledgehammer or other appropriate tools. Lifting and carrying equipment weighing up to 50 lbs over rough terrain may be required. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of field equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms, speak, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and smell. Able to get in and out of vehicle multiple times a day; drive 30 to 60 miles daily.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Work is performed outside in all types of weather conditions possibly for extended periods of time. The terrain may be rough, steep, wet or swampy. Vegetation may be dense, and insects, snakes or animals may be encountered.
If you have what it takes to join our growing organization and want to be part of a dedicated team please forward resume which must include salary history and a cover letter outlining how your background and experience relate to the position. In return, WGI provides a competitive salary, excellent benefits and an outstanding work environment. WGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.